Re: Going dual-stack, how do apps behave and what to do as an operator (Was: Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?)

  • From: Raymond Macharia
  • Date: Wed Sep 19 07:41:58 2007

Hi,
Just stumbled upon this article http://www.networkworld.com/news/tech/2007/090507-tech-uodate.html
Suggested here is that Dual Stack is more attractive than tunneling. Is the advise here based on real life experience or is it a matter of what is good for the goose may not be good for the gander?

Regards

Raymond

[email protected] wrote:
When I wrote my book, I mostly looked at Cisco for this, and
apart from Cisco to FreeBSD and Linux. The logic is that on a
Cisco, you can build a good tunnel box (6to4 or manual
tunnels) on a C7200 or some other box that has a decent CPU
that can do the tunneling in software. Quite possibly a
Juniper can do the same with hardware support (although I
don't know that and it's also very possible that they can't
do it in hardware or with decent speed in software) but there
are no cheap(er) Juniper boxes that are suitable for
deployment as a 5 - 200 Mbps tunnel box, in my opinion.

Are you saying that 6to4 relay servers should be dedicated to that task?
I.e. you should either dedicate a pair of routers per PoP or set up a
couple of BSD/Linux boxes per PoP?

--Michael Dillon