Re: Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?

  • From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
  • Date: Sat Sep 15 12:58:09 2007

I think we will never move to IPv6 if vendors don't do things like the one
in the Airport. However, in order to make this "transition" phase where
there may be a possible degradation of the RTT, we need to cooperation of
the operators, for example deploying 6to4 relays in their networks.

As many 6to4 relays exists (even if they are closed only to the customers of
that network), less this will be problem.

I understand that sometimes is not easy to provide native IPv6 services, but
deploying a 6to4 relay (same as a Teredo Relay) is a very simple and
inexpensive step, but it helps a lot.

In regions such as Africa and LAC, where upstream b/w is expensive, I'm
helping the ISPs to setup those, in order to avoid traffic going thru the
upstream links and staying local.

Remember that even if we don't have products such the Airport, our customers
have OS which come with IPv6 enabled by default and they try 6to4 or Teredo
when they don't have native connectivity, so is not a problem that we can
hide from. We really need to move one step forward and avoid support calls,
for example.

Regards,
Jordi