Re: Good Stuff [was] Re: shameful-cabling gallery of infamy - does anybody know where it went?

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed Sep 12 08:39:36 2007

On 11-Sep-2007, at 1514, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

Some of the local old-school Bell Atlantic/Verizon techs also did very clean work, but most of them took the early retirement packages that were offered 4-5 years ago.

This (the general subject of how to keep real-world cabinets tidy and do cabling in a sane way) seems like an excellent topic for a NANOG tutorial. I'd come, for sure :-)

When I worked on the ISP side of a phone company in New Zealand in the early nineties the telco facilities techs did some beautiful work, particularly on some very large copper distribution frames (for strange regulatory reasons there was one very large class 5 switch at this telco to service local access customers all over Auckland, with result that almost the whole first floor of 49 Symonds Street was built out as an enormous CO).

I once asked one of the telco guys to come and impart some cable management clue to us, but didn't get very far. The bemused response when we were both standing in front of the ISP racks was "but this is IT gear. IT gear is always messy."

Joe