North American Network Operators Group

Date Prev | Date Next | Date Index | Thread Index | Author Index | Historical

Re: shameful-cabling gallery of infamy - does anybody know where it went?

  • From: Warren Kumari
  • Date: Mon Sep 10 10:59:01 2007

One of the places where I worked had a bunch of networking gear and around 12x1U servers all squeezed into a shower stall.... There was a cardboard sign hanging from the faucet saying "WARNING!!! Do not turn on"


On Sep 10, 2007, at 11:38 AM, Leigh Porter wrote:

We used to have a POP under somebodys stairs in Bristol in the UK and
another POP in the loft of a friend of one of the employees. They sold
their house and the POP stayed there and the new owners knew nothing
about it, imagine their surprise when a telco engineer turned up wanting
to fix a fibre fault ;-)


Patrick Muldoon wrote:

On Sep 10, 2007, at 12:34 AM, Vinny Abello wrote:

One of the stranger things a field tech of ours encountered wasn't
necessarily bad wiring (although it's not great), but the fact that
the demarc was located next to the toilet in the bathroom. Naturally,
the constant humidity caused bad corrosion problems and other issues
with their telco services. :) So as a general rule of thumb, avoid
putting your telco and/or network gear next to the crapper or the
services the equipment is meant to provide might also stink

I know of one ISP that had their local POP in a small rural town, the
bathroom of a local store, sitting on a shelf in rather close
proximity to the sink (Sorry don't have pictures). So Router, modem
bank and a couple T1's. The kicker was they had it all plugged into
an extension cord that ran to another part of a back room. More than
1 time we (as the local telco) had to go out there cause they where
certain it was a problem with the Ts, When in fact someone had either
tripped over the power cord or unplugged it somehow.


Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer
Key ID: 0x370D752C

NOTICE: alloc: /dev/null: filesystem full