RE: Using Mobile Phone email addys for monitoring

  • From: Stasiniewicz, Adam
  • Date: Thu Sep 06 23:25:07 2007

I used a wide range of alerting methods.  The most reliable that I have
found (at least for Cingular/AT&T phones) has been TAP.  Since this way the
monitoring server can have its own dedicated modem / phone line (separate
from the PBX).  Thereby you no longer have to use any of the monitored
equipment to relay failures notifications (i.e. chicken and the egg).

Because a TAP solution is total separate, one thing we had to do was a daily
"test page".  Basically every day at noon, a fake check would get tripped on
the monitoring system and send an alert to some of the folks that maintained
the monitoring server.  This way if there was a breakdown in the monitoring
system they would (hopefully) notice that they did not get the daily page
and fix the problem.

Regards,
Adam Stasiniewicz