Re: Using Mobile Phone email addys for monitoring

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Thu Sep 06 20:34:44 2007

At 05:29 PM 9/6/2007, Jared Mauch wrote:

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 02:12:34PM -0700, matthew zeier wrote:

> > Anyone else have any issues, past or present, with this kind of thing?
>

> It takes ~ 7 minutes from the time Nagios sends an email sms to AT&T to the
> time it hits my phone. I'm using @mobile.mycingular.com because mmode.com
> stopped working (which results in at least two txt pages vs. the one I was
> used to).
>
> > Is SMTP to a mobile phone a fundamentally flawed way to do this?
>
> I'm beginning to think it is!

        Some mobile phones you can talk to via AT commandset, either
via USB cable or something else.  (eg: I have used a Nokia 6230 with usb
cable.. you can also use bluetooth).  If you pay $5 or whatnot for unlimited
SMS on a el-cheapo plan, it might work better than using the SMTP gateway
(when tied to Nagios, etc..) as you can send SMS messages with the AT
commandset.

Assuming, for the moment, that there's a cell signal available in your data center... Not always the case, unfortunately.