RE: ONS - The few the proud ... the sleeping

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Thu Aug 16 14:25:53 2007

> Unless all these bots are directly connected (direct
> customer) and concentrated on one portion of the network (not
> spread across the entire access layer) I can't imagine with
> the tools, features, products, etc that are available today
> (that can almost manage dDoS attacks for you) that it
> couldn't be mitigated.  5-6 years ago this would have been a
> lot tougher, but it was still doable.

Remote triggered BGP blackhole filtering comes to mind
ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/cons/isp/security/Remote-Triggered-Black-Hole-Fi
ltering-02.pdf

And if the bots are directly connected or concentrated in one point of
the network, it seems to me that simple ACLs can mitigate the attack.

I agree that DDoS is not likely to take down a network big enough to be
called a backbone unless there is some kind of unforeseen side effects
to the DDoS.

--Michael Dillon