Re: [policy] When Tech Meets Policy...

  • From: Hex Star
  • Date: Thu Aug 16 10:15:11 2007

I find this to be a disturbing abuse issue by registrars as well... A good example is a domain I owned, thedigitalfreeway.com ...it was owned by me and used for a webhosting business: http://web.archive.org/web/20060618003859/http://www.thedigitalfreeway.com/ but the business fell through as I had little startup money and was forced to close down and let the domain expire due to a ongoing ddos attack from china botnets that neither I nor my ISP had the hardware to handle properly (I didn't have the funds to buy such hardware). Since the domain expired now look at the whois info:

Gawith, Marc [email protected]
1160 W. Canary Way
CHANDLER, Arizona 85248
United States
4802272987

Godaddy took the domain and has parked it and is trying to sell it, I had heard of registrars doing this but didn't believe it until now, this is not right that registrars can just take a domain name, see if it generates any revenue, and get the registration fee refunded if they dislike the domain's performance!!!

P.S. Interesting:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/886/B53