Re: [policy] When Tech Meets Policy...

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Mon Aug 13 23:59:10 2007

On Aug 14, 2007, at 12:19 AM, Paul Ferguson wrote:

I was just struck by a couple of statistics:

[snip]

In January 2007, according to PIR five registrars deleted 1,773,910 domain
names during the grace period and retained 10,862. That same month,
VeriSign reported that among top ten registrars, 95% of all deleted .COM
and .Net domain names were the result of domain tasting.

So, if they charged a $ 1 "return fee," they would either

- produce revenues of several million USD per month (unlikely) or
- cut domain tasting by about 2 orders of magnitude.

This seems like one problem with a simple solution. I am sure that someone will rapidly tell
me why it won't work, but in an era when an airline will charge you $ 40 to $ 200 USD to correct
a typo, I don't see why this is excessive.

Regard
Marshall

[snip]

http://www.informationweek.com/management/showArticle.jhtml? articleID=20150
0223

Having said that, Jay Westerdal mentioned on Sunday that:

[snip]

Today was the largest Domain Tasting day ever. We recorded over 8 Million
Transactions today. This is a new high. We have never seen 8 Million
transactions on one day before. That would be either an add or delete. Over
99 percent of these transactions are completely free and use the 5 day
grace period to test domain names for traffic before they are purchase for
a long term buy.

[snip]

http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/08/biggest-domain-tasting-day-ever/

Although I'm not sure all of that 8M+ were actual "tasted", it
does represent an astronomical number of registrations.

Just a couple of data points.

- - ferg

-- "Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson Engineering Architecture for the Internet fergdawg(at)netzero.net ferg's tech blog: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/