Re: [ppml] too many variables

  • From: Cat Okita
  • Date: Mon Aug 13 19:29:35 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Leo Bicknell wrote:
It seems to me an off the shelf PC with a Core 2 Duo processor, 4
gig of memory, and a gigabit ethernet port would be 1-2 orders of
magnitude faster than what's currently in the routers.  Optimize
for a multithreaded CPU, add a second and it would converge really
fast.  My own experience is that zebra / quagga blow away the
performance of any router out there as long as you don't ask them
to install the routes in the kernel (which is really slow in a
general purpose OS).

Isn't this mostly where we started? I could have sworn the first 'routers' weren't exactly specialized devices...

cheers!
avoid getting wet.  This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."