RE: [ppml] too many variables

  • From: michael.dillon
  • Date: Sun Aug 12 13:28:39 2007

> And yet people still say the sky is falling with
> respect to routing convergence and FIB size.
> Probably a better comparison BTW, would be with a

Actually, the better comparison is with the power of current processors
used in Juniper and Cisco gear with the current Moore's law power of
common off-the-shelf PC processors. Then go back to the point in time
when there were real actual issues with FIB size on routers, and look at
the same relative power.

Today, is there a bigger or a smaller gap than way back when there were
real problems on the net. If the gap is bigger or the same, then we are
nuts to worry about it. If the gap is significantly smaller then we
should get some serious researchers to figure out the real limits of
current technology and the future technology at the point where the gap
has gone to zero.

--Michael Dillon