Re: large organization nameservers sending icmp packets to dns servers.

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Wed Aug 08 13:03:51 2007

On Aug 8, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Jamie Bowden wrote:
How is answering a query on TCP/53 any MORE dangerous than answering it
on UDP/53? Really. I'd like to know how one of these security nitwits
justifies it. It's the SAME piece of software answering the query
either way.

How many bytes of shell code can you stuff in a 512 byte DNS UDP packet?

How many bytes of shell code can you stuff in a TCP DNS connection?

Rgds,
-drc

P.S. I still think blocking TCP/53 is stupid.