Re: large organization nameservers sending icmp packets to dns servers.

  • From: Valdis . Kletnieks
  • Date: Wed Aug 08 12:20:43 2007

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:33:56 EDT, "Patrick W. Gilmore" said:

> Paying $10 and registering a domain IN NOW WAY means I promised a
> bazillion people anything.
>
> What happened to: "You can run your network however you want"?

You're totally welcome to run your own network backbone as IPv6-only
or X.25/CLNP.  However, if you actually want to talk to the outside
world, a higher level of cooperation is required.

The hard-to-answer question is where the "best" tradeoff of "however you want"
and "industry standards and best practices" lies for a given provider, because
the answer is of course different for each site.