weight vs. volume (95th percentile vs transfer in M/Gbytes)

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Wed Aug 08 11:09:46 2007

over the years, i've grown quite accustomed to feeling out pricing of bandwidth
based on 95th percentile peak utilization with various minimums and potential
tiers.

i've always sorta viewed pricing by "bytes transferred" to be a consumer thing
that my uncle might pay when hosting his webpages showing his matchbox
collection.

now i'm faced with a jurisdiction where the only providers (all 2 of them) will
only give pricing in "bytes transferred".

they are not interested in giving me pricing based on 95th percentile, and
as such i'm having a tough time budgetting for some of my applications.
(pisses me off because i'm sure _they_ are paying by 995th percentile)

with 95th percentile, i could always trottle down the applications or figure
out what my estimated `overage might be.

has anyone got a formula for comparing 95th percentile billing with bytes
transferred?

--
Jim Mercer        [email protected]        +971 55 410-5633
"I'm Prime Minister of Canada, I live here and I'm going to take a leak."