Re: large organization nameservers sending icmp packets to dns servers.

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Mon Aug 06 17:56:11 2007

On 6-Aug-2007, at 16:31, Peter Dambier wrote:

John L wrote:
Um, unless I seriously misunderstand the client DNS cache wants to know which server is closest. So it sends DNS queries to all three NS at the same time. Then it waits for the answers. Whichever one answers first is the closest. What am I missing?

The bind_garbadge_collection_delay.

From time to time bind goes to sleep, depending on the size
and number of zones the nameserver does host.

I think you're talking about the performance of BIND 9 as a cache. This is pretty tangential, but there was a good presentation on work being done to fix that performance problem by Michael Graff at the recent DNS ops workshop in Chicago:

http://public.oarci.net/files/dnsops-2007/Graff-BIND9-cache.pdf

Joe