Re: large organization nameservers sending icmp packets to dns servers.

  • From: Chris L. Morrow
  • Date: Mon Aug 06 15:44:21 2007

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

first I agree that in most cases the 'RTT to client cacheresolver'
probably works well enough. That said though...

> Owen said it worked well for his customers (in a past life), and he
> has operational experience with this.  Can anyone give a serious
> counter example _from experience_?  Or are we just discussing
> possibilities?

Sure, 75% of the people that use cache00.ns.uu.net and aren't in the
'mid-atlantic' region... (and someone's blocking echo-request to
cache00 but...) Unless there exist exceptions and other metrics for the
clients it's probably not very accurate in this instance (or the other
cacheXX.ns.uu.net cases really, since they tend to move about the network
as required...)