Re: Questions about populating RIR with customer information.

  • From: Florian Weimer
  • Date: Thu Aug 02 01:41:15 2007

* Drew Weaver:

> Up until recently, we were only providing the RIR database with
> information about our larger allocations /24 or larger. We have
> noticed however that many anti-spam organizations such as Spamhaus,
> and Fiveten will use the lack of information regarding an IP
> allocation as a blank check to blacklist entire /24s when they are
> really targeting a single /30 or a /29.

I don't know how this translates to actual blacklist entries, but for
submitting complaints, blacklist operators ignore the smaller
networks, whether they are in WHOIS or not.  I would also expect that
if you've got a significant spamming problem, some blacklists will try
to entice *you* to do something about it proactively.  Overblocking is
often used for that purpose.