Questions about populating RIR with customer information.

  • From: Drew Weaver
  • Date: Wed Aug 01 09:41:21 2007
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

        Up until recently, we were only providing the RIR database with information about our larger allocations /24 or larger. We have noticed however that many anti-spam organizations such as Spamhaus, and Fiveten will use the lack of information regarding an IP allocation as a blank check to blacklist entire /24s when they are really targeting a single /30 or a /29. As such we are examining publishing information for all allocations in the RIR database (/30s, /29s, etc). My question, mostly is related to the privacy of the customer whom the space is being allocated to. Has anyone ever had an issue where they have published a user's information and the user had an issue with it? Is there some way that we can 'proxy' the information so that it simply states that the /29 has been allocated to a customer but it doesn't provide their contact information?

        Most of our customers are co-location and dedicated hosting customers and we are simply unsure whether or not there are implications (legal or otherwise) in publishing our customer data in a public RIR database.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Thanks,
-Drew