Re: Routing public traffic across county boundaries in Europe

  • From: Alexander Harrowell
  • Date: Fri Jul 27 06:04:56 2007

On 7/27/07, Lionel Elie Mamane <[email protected]> wrote:

What I would expect is that you still have to obey lawful intercept
legislation, so you need to interconnect with the government "black
box" rooms, and these are at the major IXs in the country. (And I've
repeatedly heard that in the Netherlands, for some time in the past at
least, the way the ISPs got rid of the lawful intercept obligation was
to have the AMS-IX send a copy of *all* the traffic to the government
black box. Not that they had to do that, but it was the easiest /
cheapest way.)

Easiest/cheapest for the Dutch ISPs. Not for the government though! AMS-IX can be 200GBits a second, so I wonder if this was an exercise in killing the snoopers with kindness.

If there were any such obligation, I'd expect the real reason not to
be "the egress country can snoop", but "it is harder for the
originating country to snoop".

Perhaps. The French and German govts are not keen on their officials using Blackberrys 'cos all European BlackBerry traffic goes via a building near my house (single point of failure? we don't need no stinkin' redundancy!) in London.