Re: History of the EPO (Emergency Power Off)

  • From: Barton F. Bruce
  • Date: Fri Jul 27 00:32:50 2007

Many years ago when we were much, much smaller, the EPO was wired to a special EPO circuit breaker on the main panel which fed the subpanel for the datacenter room. A short on that breaker was like pressing the "test" switch on a GFCI breaker. Do most people who do have functional (as opposed to decorative) EPO buttons have them connected to the building/suite mains disconnect? or to the output of your UPS units? to a special EPO panel which trips the EPO cutoffs on other units?

I'd guess what you are describing is what is known as a "SHUNT TRIP" coil in the large breaker you need to trip. This is a readily available option even on relatively small breakers - just feed it power and it trips the breaker.

However it does need seperate power run through the EPO button and fed from a small dedicated 15 or 20AMP normal branch circuit breaker.

Once the inspector has permanently departed, that little breaker can be "accidentally" left tripped and then the EPO function does not work - no "wiring/unwiring" skills needed.

Ususal issues of liability, so decide if/how to inform other staff.