RE: Why do we use facilities with EPO's?

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Thu Jul 26 17:22:59 2007

On July 26, 2007 at 16:25 [email protected] (Randy Epstein) wrote:
 > (snip)
 >
 > > Put another way: Between a 120KVA UPS and a gang of experienced
 > > firefighters with charged hoses I'd put my money on the firefighters
 > > every time.
 > >
 > > --
 > >         -Barry Shein
 >
 > You realize the UPS systems we're speaking of are much larger?  Usually 480
 > volt, many kVA.

FWIW, do you imagine that's terribly large for urban firefighters in
the big scheme of things, not just computer rooms?

My memory could be wrong but I remember the John Hancock building, 60
stories, pulls about 1.5MW...I remember Boston Edison mentioning this
in discussing a design I was working on of a supercomputer facility,
that we were asking for more power than the hancock building which was
ok but it presented..."challenges". Factories can pull a lot of power
also (that room was never built.)

Anyhow, once you're beyond a pea-shooter I don't think procedures for
firefighting vary a whole lot, other than some outliers.

	-b