Re: An Internet IPv6 Transition Plan

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Wed Jul 25 20:03:15 2007

On 25-jul-2007, at 6:30, Stephen Wilcox wrote:

I think the combined effect of these things means
- we will not be running into a wall at any time
- availability of IPs will slowly decrease over time (as cost slowly increases)

I have to disagree here. 10% of the requests are for 90% of the 170 - 200 million IPv4 addresses given out per year. These are going to large broadband ISPs in blocks of a quarter million or (much) larger, upto /8. At some point, the RIRs will be out of large enough blocks to satisfy these requests. Nothing to be done about that.

The decrease over time / address market stuff only applies to the 90% of requests for very smal blocks that together only use 17 - 20 million addresses per year. Those can be satisfied from reclaimed address space for years to come.