Re: DNS Hijacking by Cox

  • From: Peter Dambier
  • Date: Wed Jul 25 13:34:46 2007

Mattias Ahnberg wrote:
Peter Dambier wrote:

The problem is, you dont know what is behind that probably NATted ip
address. Probably you have 3 unix machines running smtp and uucp
and a single infected windows box and maybe some VoIPs and ...

This is why I spoke of merely intercepting web traffic to inform,
to not interrupt other services that may use the same link. I am
in the same situation myself, sharing lots of stuff via the same
fiber to my house. I even have TV through it.

So I actually thought of that.

You are right. Intercepting is mostly harmless.

And an ISP probably knows a bit more about their customer base than what we do, so this idea would ofcourse have to adapt to that. But as said, its a complicated matter and probably not a good idea either way before we know who is supposed to do what and for whom.

Having been a costumer to some ISPs and communicating with others, I dont agree. At least concerning email they dont have a clue about their costumers and there are others things like uucp, VoIP and p2p or IPv6 tunnels they dont have either.

Kind regards Peter and Karin

-- Peter and Karin Dambier Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana Rimbacher Strasse 16 D-69509 Moerlenbach-Bonsweiher +49(6209)795-816 (Telekom) +49(6252)750-308 (VoIP: sipgate.de) mail: [email protected] mail: [email protected] http://iason.site.voila.fr/ https://sourceforge.net/projects/iason/ http://www.cesidianroot.com/