Re: San Francisco Power Outage

  • From: Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET
  • Date: Wed Jul 25 00:37:31 2007

> On Jul 24, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> >
> > I have a question: does anyone seriously accept "oh, power trouble"
> > as a reason your servers went offline? Where's the generators? UPS?
> > Testing said combination of UPS and generators? What if it was
> > important? I honestly find it hard to believe anyone runs a
> > facility like that and people actually *pay* for it.
> >

> Sad that the little Telcove DC here in Lancaster, PA, that Level3
> bought a few months ago, has weekly full-on generator tests where
> 100% of the load is transferred to the generator, while apparently
> large DCs that are charging premium rates, do not.

	And I could tell you about large DC's that are charging premium
rates, had (admittedly) quarterly generator tests that ended up failing
and causing down time MULTIPLE TIMES too. Meanwhile the generator at my
parents house I had installed has weekly tests and runs fine, but I'm
waiting for that unbelievably cold unbelievably harsh winters day where
the power goes out and the generator fails... Because its a machine. It
has wear, it breaks. I don't know that I'd be comfortable with a full
load every time. Rather it be load banks....

			Tuc/TBOH