Re: San Francisco Power Outage

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Tue Jul 24 21:30:09 2007

[email protected] (Seth Mattinen) writes:

> I have a question: does anyone seriously accept "oh, power trouble" as a
> reason your servers went offline? Where's the generators? UPS? Testing
> said combination of UPS and generators? What if it was important? I
> honestly find it hard to believe anyone runs a facility like that and
> people actually *pay* for it.
>
> If you do accept this is a good reason for failure, why?

sometimes the problem is in the redundancy gear itself.  PAIX lost power
twice during its first five years of operation, and both times it was due
to faulty GFI in the UPS+redundancy gear.  which had passed testing during
construction and subsequently, but eventually some component just wore out.
--
Paul Vixie