Re: San Francisco Power Outage

  • From: Seth Mattinen
  • Date: Tue Jul 24 20:03:08 2007

Jonathan Lassoff wrote:

Just a heads up to anyone on list that PG&E has just sustained a large outage in San Francisco that has caused a few hiccups (both network, electrical, infrastructural, etc.) around the city.

I've confirmed that both customers in 365 Main and parts of telecom 1
have both sustained brief blackouts. No word yet form 200 Paul.

Anyone in the area that could use a hand with anything, I'll probably
be wrapping up fixes for my stuff soon, and would be glad to help
however I can.

I have a question: does anyone seriously accept "oh, power trouble" as a reason your servers went offline? Where's the generators? UPS? Testing said combination of UPS and generators? What if it was important? I honestly find it hard to believe anyone runs a facility like that and people actually *pay* for it.

If you do accept this is a good reason for failure, why?

~Seth