Re: iPhone and Network Disruptions ...

  • From: Prof. Robert Mathews (OSIA)
  • Date: Tue Jul 24 17:18:08 2007

Hank, Warren, & Fellow Nanogers:

Looking at this issue with an 'interoperability lens,' I remain puzzled by a personal observation that at least in the publicized case of Duke University's Wi-Fi net being effected, the "ARP storms" did not negatively impact network operations UNTIL the presence of iPhones on campus.  The nagging point in my mind therefore, is: why have other Wi-Fi devices (laptops, HPCs/PDAs, Smartphones etc.,) NOT caused the 'type' of ARP flooding, which was made visible in Duke's Wi-Fi environment?   Why did this issue become MOST prominent with the introduction of Apple's iPhone on campus?

In that sense, my original question regarding iPhone's 'unique' operational circumstance(s) will have/need to be considered. Initial analysis tells me that we may not be far into that aspect but, we might need to...

Again, I wish to thank you for the responses.

All my best,
Robert.
--

begin:vcard
fn:Prof. Robert Mathews
n:Mathews;Robert
org:University of Hawai'i
adr:Wentworth Hall, Room# 2,  200 W. Kawili St. (ITO);;415 Nahua St., Ste 814 & 815 (HNL) / ;Honolulu & Hilo;HI;96815/96720;U.S.A
email;internet:[email protected]
title:Distinguished Senior Research Scholar on National Security Affairs & U.S. Industrial Preparedness
tel;work:+ 315.853.7853 (NY) / + 703.655.7124 (VA/WDC)
tel;fax:+ 315.859.1998
note;quoted-printable:This visiting card contains two distinct addresses, =
	=0D=0A=
	one for Honolulu Hi., and the other for Hilo, Hi.  =
	=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	If writing to Prof. Mathews  is your preference,=0D=0A=
	then it must be noted that he can presently =
	=0D=0A=
	be reached through the following address, =
	=0D=0A=
	and it is:=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	119 St. Mary's Avenue,=0D=0A=