Re: How should ISPs notify customers about Bots (Was Re: DNS Hijacking

  • From: Stephen Wilcox
  • Date: Tue Jul 24 15:04:21 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 12:00:40PM -0500, Joe Greco wrote:

> > Yes there are a few bots around still using IRC but a lot of them have
> > moved to other, better things (and there's fun "headless" bots too,
> > hardcoded with instructions and let loose so there's no C&C, no
> > centralized domain or dynamic dns for takedown.. you want to make a
> > change? just release another bot into the wild).
>
> Hardly unexpected.  The continuing evolution is likely to be pretty
> scary.  Disposables are nice, but the trouble and slowness in seeding
> makes them less valuable.  I'm expecting that we'll see
> compartmentalized bots, where each bot has a small number of neighbors,
> a pseudo-scripting command language, extensible communication ABI to
> facilitate the latest in detection avoidance, and some basic logic to
> seed/pick neighbors that aren't local.  Build in some strong
> encryption, have them each repeat the encrypted orders to their
> neighbors, and you have a structure that would be exceedingly
> difficult to deal with.
>
> Considering how long ago that sort of model was proposed, it is actually
> remarkable that it doesn't seem to have been perfected by now, and that
> we're still blocking IRC.

Thats because there is a huge world out there of badly protected hosts just waiting to become bots and a fairly basic set of tactics being deployed to prevent them.

ie until globally it is somewhat more difficult to build a botnet there is no need to develop complicated solutions. the simpler ones are proven, easy to roll out, easy to modify.

its just supply and demand...

Steve