Re: How should ISPs notify customers about Bots (Was Re: DNS Hijacking

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Tue Jul 24 14:48:40 2007

> On Jul 24, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Joe Greco wrote:
> > But, hey, it can be done, and with an amount of effort that isn't
> > substantially different from the
> > amount of work Cox would have had to do to accomplish what they did.
>
> Actually, it's requires a bit more planning and effort, especially if
> one gets into sinkholing and then reinjecting, which necessitates
> breaking out of the /32 routing loop post-analysis/-proxy.

Since what I'm talking about is mainly IDS-style inspection of packets,
combined with optional redirection of candidate hosts to a local
"cleanser" IRCD, the only real problem is dumping outbound packets
somewhere where the /32 routing loop would be avoided.  Presumably it
isn't a substantial challenge for a network engineer to implement a
policy route for packets from that box to the closest transit (even
if it isn't an optimal path).  It's only IRC, after all.  ;-)

> It can
> and is done, but performing DNS poisoning with an irchoneyd setup is
> quite a bit easier.

Similar in complexity, just without the networking angle.

> And in terms of the amount of traffic headed
> towards the IRC servers in question - the miscreants DDoS one
> another's C&C servers all the time, so it pays to be careful what one
> sinkholes, backhauls, and re-injects not only in terms of current
> traffic, but likely traffic.

I don't see how what I suggest could be anything other than a benefit
to the Internet community, when considering this situation.  If your
network is generating a gigabit of traffic towards an IRC server, and
is forced to run it through an IDS that only has 100Mbps ports, then
you've decreased the attack by 90%.  Your local clients break, because
they're suddenly seeing 90% packet loss to the IRC server, and you now
have a better incentive to fix the attack sources.

Am I missing some angle there?  I haven't spent a lot of time considering
it.

> In large networks, scale is also a barrier to deployment.  Leveraging
> DNS can provide a pretty large footprint over the entire topology for
> less effort, IMHO.

Yes, there is some truth there, especially in networks made up of
independent autonomous systems.  DNS redirection to a host would
favor port redirection, so an undesirable side effect would be that
all Cox customers connecting to irc.vel.net would have appeared to
be coming from the same host.  It is less effort, but more invasive.

> Also, it appears (I've no firsthand knowledge of this, only the same
> public discussions everyone else has seen) that the goal wasn't just
> to classify possibly-botted hosts, but to issue self-destruct
> commands for several bot variations which support this functionality.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  The realities of the
consumer broadband scene make it necessary to take certain steps to
protect the network.  I think everyone here realized what the goal of
the exercise was.  The point is that there are other ways to conduct
such an exercise.  In particular, I firmly believe that any time there
is a decision to break legitimate services on the net, that we have an
obligation to seriously consider the alternatives and the consequences.

> [Note:  This is not intended as commentary as to whether or not the
> DNS poisoning in question was a Good or Bad Idea, just on the delta
> of effort and other operational considerations of DNS poisoning vs.
> sinkholing/re-injection.]
>
> Public reports that both Cox and Time-Warner performed this activity
> nearly simultaneously; was it a coordinated effort?  Was this a one-
> time, short-term measure to try and de-bot some hosts?  Does anyone
> have any insight as to whether this exercise has resulted in less
> undesirable activity on the networks in question?

That's a very interesting question.  I would have expected the bots in
question to be idle and abandoned, but perhaps that is not the case.

... JG