RE: An Internet IPv6 Transition Plan

  • From: Durand, Alain
  • Date: Tue Jul 24 02:11:31 2007

John,

Thank you for writing this down, this will help start the discussion.

One of the things that is missing IMHO is that there is no clear vision
of what the IPv6 Internet will/should looks like. Let me focus on the
residential
broadband for a minute, I'm fully aware there are other cases, but let's
start somewhere.

1) What is the IPv6 'service'?
   For example, is it reasonable to define a 'basic' level
   service as web+mail and an 'extended' service as everything else?
   Random ideas include for example offering a lower cost
   'basic' service with v6 that would be 'proxied' to the rest
   of the v4 Internet....

2) What is the connectivity model in IPv6 for the residential customer?
   1 address versus prefix delegation?
   what prefix size?
   is this prefix 'stable' or 'variable' over time? (ie renumbering is
expected)
   (note: the answer to this question has huge implications)
   What types of devices are connected? PCs or appliances or sensors?
   What is the management model in the home?
   (how much all of this has to be controlable by the user vs made
automatic?)
   Are there 'servers' (ie things that answers connections from the
outside) in the home?
   Is there any kind of DNS delegation happening to the home?

3) What is the security model of all this?
   I just listened today half mistified to a presentation at IETF
   that was saying that the 'recommended' deployment model in the home
   is to put a NAT-like stateful firewall in the home gateway...
   This would mean that IPv6 would have to inherit all the NAT-traversal
   technologies from IPv4 to work... Is this really what we want?

4) What about the 'legacy' devices that cannot upgrade to IPv6?
   What kind of service is expected for those? Does defining an
   80% type solution as in 1) take care of them?

IMHO, until there is a better understanding of the answers to those
questions (and many more I'm sure) to describe what the brave
new world of IPv6 looks like, it will be difficult to define
any Internet scale transition plan...

My $.02

  - Alain.