Re: How should ISPs notify customers about Bots (Was Re: DNS Hijacking

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Mon Jul 23 19:15:11 2007

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2007, Joe Greco wrote:
> > "Some privacy advocates" will be upset with ISP's doing what Cox is doing.
> > Maybe you missed that.  If we assume that it is okay for Cox to actually
> > intercept the IRC sessions of their users, we're wayyyy far into that
> > mess anyways.  I'm saying "do it right" if you're going to do it at all.
>
> Would it be better if ISPs just blackholed certain IP addresses associated
> with Bot C&C servers instead of trying to give the user a message.  That
> doesn't require examining the data content of any messages.  The user just
> gets a connection timeout.

Compared to hijacking DNS and intercepting sessions?  Yes.  Absolutely.
See, it isn't that hard to come up with better ideas.

> > Personally, I'd prefer that they didn't do it, but that set of solutions
> > is more complex.
>
> So it is better for ISPs to do nothing, than attempt something that isn't
> perfect.

Well, that's not what I said, now, is it.  I did say that there's a set of
solutions out there to deal with that.

> Thanks.  I'll remember that the next time someone complains about
> ISPs not caring about abuse or bots on networks.

Interestingly enough, some of us care.  Some of us care enough to run clean
networks AND to make sure that what we're selling isn't compromised by
deliberate DNS hijackings and site redirections.

Hmm.

... JG