Re: How should ISPs notify customers about Bots (Was Re: DNS Hijacking

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Mon Jul 23 12:29:30 2007

> On Sun, 22 Jul 2007, Joe Greco wrote:
> > We can break a lot of things in the name of "saving the Internet."  That
> > does not make it wise to do so.
>
> Since the last time the subject of ISPs taking action and doing something
> about Bots, a lot of people came up with many ideas involving the ISP
> answering DNS queries with the addresses of ISP cleaning servers.
>
> Just about every commercial WiFi hotspot and hotel login system uses a
> fake DNS server to redirect users to its login pages.

I think there's a bit of a difference, in that when you're using every
commercial WiFi hotspot and hotel login system, that they redirect
everything.  Would you truly consider that to be the same thing as one
of those services redirecting "www.cnn.com" to their own ad-filled news
page?

While I'm not a fan of it, I know that when I go to a hotel, I should
try to pull up "www.cnn.com" (which is actually what I use, because I
so rarely use that URL, so it doesn't pollute my browser cache).  If I
get CNN, then I'm live.  If I have to click a button and agree to some
terms, then I'm live a bit later.

However, if I were to go to a hotel, and they intercept random (to me)
web sites, I'd consider that a very bad thing.

> Many universities
> use a fake DNS server to redirect student computers to cleaning sites.

I'm not sure I entirely approve of that, either, but at least it is more
like the hotel login scenario than the hotel random site redirection
scenario.

> What should be the official IETF recognized method for network operators
> to asynchronously communicate with users/hosts connect to the network for
> various reasons getting those machines cleaned up?

That's a good question.  It would actually be good to have a system in
place, something competent, instead of the mishmash of broken trash in
use by hotels to "log in" users, etc.  I'd see it as an overall benefit.

... JG