How should ISPs notify customers about Bots (Was Re: DNS Hijacking by Cox)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Jul 23 10:46:06 2007

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007, Joe Greco wrote:
We can break a lot of things in the name of "saving the Internet."  That
does not make it wise to do so.

Since the last time the subject of ISPs taking action and doing something about Bots, a lot of people came up with many ideas involving the ISP answering DNS queries with the addresses of ISP cleaning servers.

Just about every commercial WiFi hotspot and hotel login system uses a fake DNS server to redirect users to its login pages. Many universities use a fake DNS server to redirect student computers to cleaning sites.

What should be the official IETF recognized method for network operators to asynchronously communicate with users/hosts connect to the network for
various reasons getting those machines cleaned up?

As far as I know, PPPOE is the only network access protocol that includes the feature of redirecting a host to a network operator's system; but Microsoft has decided not to implement it.