Re: Port 587 vs. 25

  • From: Florian Weimer
  • Date: Mon Jul 23 07:09:24 2007

* Patrick W. Gilmore:

> IOW: ISPs have no real reason to stop port 587, they do have a reason
> (whether you agree it is sufficient or not) to filter port 25.

Sorry for being unclear: If I block 25/TCP to *my* *own* servers for a
*customer*, I will make sure that I block 587/TCP as well.
(Legitimate reasons would be infrastructure protection, for instance.)

This subthread started by someone who reported that someone else had
been prevent from accessing their ISP's smarthosts over 25/TCP.  This
is not a 25 vs 587 issue, AFAICT.