Re: Port 587 vs. 25 [was: DNS Hijacking by Cox]

  • From: Jeroen Wunnink
  • Date: Mon Jul 23 06:19:01 2007

There's no issue for a hosting provider to open alternate mail ports, the issue is the flood of not too tech savvy customers who come at you with a "I haven't changed anything, it's your fault, now make my E-mail work again"

I've once suggested to one of the major ISP's here in the Netherlands to close down outgoing port 25 for transit links only and keep it on the local exchanges open (AMS-IX, NL-IX, etc), since there's usually a direct point of contact anyways to the people you directly peer with and thus having an easy abuse contact.

No success there though..