RE: DNS Hijacking by Cox

  • From: Raymond L. Corbin
  • Date: Sun Jul 22 22:44:25 2007

>I'm still unsure that this is either a good idea or a bad idea...
>changing the DNS can only help until the bots start connecting directly
to >IP addresses. Then where do we go? NAT those connections to
elsewhere? It's >one of those lovely arms races where things just get
more and more >invasive.

I don't foresee the programming of IP addresses instead of IP addresses.
Because if/when they are found and their exploited server is shut down,
their dedicated server turned off for AUP violations etc they will loose
access to all of the bots set to that IP address. This happens a lot and
when it does they simply change the DNS.

>And these people have been flamed senseless. I like to think of it as
>a case of the work the blocklists do is excellent and saves many a
>network from being overrun by spam - however there is always
>collateral damage from things like this. The good far outweighs the
>bad however.

I agree. They are at least trying to clean up their network. If they are
having a lot of problems with zombie bots that DDoS / Spam then this is
a good way to stop it, for now. The small group of users can either use
other nameservers or something like psybnc to connect if they want to
get on IRC.

Raymond Corbin
Support Analyst
HostMySite.com