Re: DNS Hijacking by Cox

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Sun Jul 22 21:43:02 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 9:29 PM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:56:13 -0700
"Andrew Matthews" <[email protected]> wrote:

It looks like cox is hijacking dns for irc servers.

And people wonder why I support DNSsec....

Steve,

One of us is confused. It might be me, but right now I think it's you.

To be clear, here is the situation as I understand it: Cox has configured their recursive name servers such that when an end user queries the recursive server for a specific host name (names?), the recursive server responds with an IP address the host's owner did not configure.

How exactly is DNSSEC going to stop them from doing this?

--
TTFN,
patrick