Re: iPhone and Network Disruptions ...

  • From: Dale W. Carder
  • Date: Sun Jul 22 15:54:35 2007

On Jul 21, 2007, at 8:52 PM, Bill Woodcock wrote:
Cisco, Duke has now come to see the elimination of the problem, see:
"*Duke Resolves iPhone, Wi-Fi Outage Problems"* at

it's an ARP storm, or something similar,
when the iPhone roams onto a new 802.11 hotspot. Apple hasn't issued a
fix yet, so Cisco had to do an emergency patch for some of their larger
customers.

As I understand, Duke is using cisco wireless controllers to run their
wireless network. Apparently there is some sort of interop issue where
one system was aggravating the other to cause arp floods in rfc1918 space.

We've seen 116 distinct iphones so far on our campus and have had sniffers
watching arps all week to look for any similar nonsense. However, we
are running the AP's in autonomous (regular ios) mode without any magic
central controller box.

Dale

--
Dale W. Carder - Network Engineer
University of Wisconsin at Madison / WiscNet