iPhone and Network Disruptions ...

  • From: Prof. Robert Mathews (OSIA)
  • Date: Sat Jul 21 20:57:05 2007

Fellow Nanogers:

Reports have floated across my desk in the past week, which have suggested that iPhones owned by faculty, staff and students have been flooding university campus Wi-Fi networks in parts of the country.  For example, see: "Duke Wi-Fi Crippled by Apple iPhones" at http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=10200AG9NMHU   Since that story first aired, and by applying a patch that was subsequently provided by Cisco, Duke has now come to see the elimination of the problem,  see: "Duke Resolves iPhone, Wi-Fi Outage Problems" at http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2161065,00.asp

There are certain aspects of this story in which I have the most interest, and the following questions (if I may be permitted to list them) detail my concern - adequately.  I wish to ask you:  1) is the iPhone an
extra-ordinary device when comparing it with devices of a comparable nature, which also request ties to a Wi-Fi network, (there are many that use Wi-Fi enabled Smart-phones and PDAs on campuses -- so, why do 'they' not pose a similar problem)  2) is this problem a result of poor planning and services implementation at certain campuses, 3) is this story - a product of great exaggerations?  4) if there are
technical issues indeed that permit iPhones in particular to DoS Wi-Fi nets, what can these storms be attributed to, and what can/should be done about it?

If you are in a position to respond, I would like to hear from you, either publicly or privately.
If there is enough group interest in the matter, I would be most happy to summarize.

All the best,
Robert.
--
begin:vcard
fn:Prof. Robert Mathews
n:Mathews;Robert
org:University of Hawai'i
adr:Wentworth Hall, Room# 2,  200 W. Kawili St. (ITO);;415 Nahua St., Ste 814 & 815 (HNL) / ;Honolulu & Hilo;HI;96815/96720;U.S.A
email;internet:[email protected]
title:Distinguished Senior Research Scholar on National Security Affairs & U.S. Industrial Preparedness
tel;work:+ 315.853.7853 (NY) / + 703.655.7124 (VA/WDC)
tel;fax:+ 315.859.1998
note;quoted-printable:This visiting card contains two distinct addresses, =
	=0D=0A=
	one for Honolulu Hi., and the other for Hilo, Hi.  =
	=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	If writing to Prof. Mathews  is your preference,=0D=0A=
	then it must be noted that he can presently =
	=0D=0A=
	be reached through the following address, =
	=0D=0A=
	and it is:=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	119 St. Mary's Avenue,=0D=0A=