Re: peter lothberg's mother slashdotted

  • From: micky coughes
  • Date: Fri Jul 13 08:25:13 2007
  • Ontent-type: references; b=ggKI5Nz/m2jhmHtIe8X+DX8gcJxujs/Ohm+0cDbkt9UUW94IzYNVlX/SW3/9FzUh/xfX/T

On 7/13/07, Robert Blayzor <[email protected]> wrote:

micky coughes wrote:
> I can see that *everybody* is missing the point on Peter's exercise.
> Clearly this is to show to the telcos of the world that you can upgrade
> to a native IP infrastructure and absorb the existing transport into the
> router with a minimal effort.  There was a post here from someone that
> was there that explained how simple it was.   This is HUGE!  This has
> the potential to completely disrupt telco transport dinosaur groups
> *and* reshape the future.  Taking it to his mom's house is just a poke
> in the telco eye, he is making fun of them.  This then begs the question
> why can they do it between their facilities?  If one guy can do it to a
> *house* it must not be that hard.  However, telcos with transport groups
> of 1000s can't pull this off, this little project states volumes.

There may be some telco's out there that don't know these types of technologies are out there. But for many, they are quiet aware. The fact is 10G seems a lot more economically feasible right now. Maybe if 40G, OC768 WDM line cards didn't cost over a quarter million dollars each there would be more deployments of it. The rate and cost of facility upgrades are far surpassing the means to make the ROI models work.

-Robert

Of course they know 40G exists, read the press releases. It is how it is implemented is the intersting thing.

Instead of relpacing all of DWDM systems from 10->40G it looks like it was
done to *one* window.  Go run the nummbers on the follwoing models:

1. Replace 10G system to 40G + assorted new mux gear for existing circuits +
40G router card + opex
2. Remove one transponder + stratalight + 40G router card + opex
3. Existing 10G system + silly iMux 4x10G + 40G router card + opex (zero
gain in system capacity)
4. Remove one transponder + 40G DWDM router card + opex (the opex on this
one is huge because you start to elimiated a large number of bodies to
maintain #1, #2 or #3)

If you work for a telco go to your transport group and suggest #4 and listen
to their bell shaped heads ring.