Re: peter lothberg's mother slashdotted

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Thu Jul 12 20:26:33 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 7:16 PM, Robert Blayzor wrote:

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
I have to disagree, considering the amount of people I've had to
convice that this really is a single 50GHz wave using 40G per
second over DWDM system designed for 10G and that it was router
"LC - optical amplification - LC"

Well yes, the technology is quite cool, I'm not debating that.  The
fact that it works at his mothers house (residential) doesn't
really have any significance.  I don't think you have anyone out
there debating against caping out the upper limits of bandwidth on
what we can get over a single strand of glass.

I look at this article and say "so what".  Now you've gotten the
packets to the house.  Now what?  Wait 10, 15 or 20 years while
companies try to find ways to get content do you?  1500 HD
channels, thats a lot of TV sets.  You can have all the bandwidth
you want, but but until there an actual use for 40Gbps at the home
all you're going to have is the worlds fastest BitTorrent or on net
porn PPV network.

Uncompressed HD TV (typically 1.54 Gbps / channel) comes to mind, for which there are applications, albeit typically not residential so far.

See, e.g.,

http://www.gloriad-kr.org/hdtv/
http://ultragrid.east.isi.edu/2005-02-APAN.pdf

Regards
Marshall

How practical is it really also that you need CRS-1 at the residence for this. I agree with Sean. Since for most people the line card alone costs more than the house. :-)

-Robert