Re: Level(3) filtering (was Yahoo outage summary)

  • From: Chris L. Morrow
  • Date: Mon Jul 09 23:12:23 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Kevin Epperson wrote:

> There is some misinformation in previous posts that I would like to
> clarify on the Level 3 side of things.

and I'd apologize for hinting that that might be the problem :(

> Level 3's own registry and known public route registries.  As several
> folks have pointed out there are minimal checks for the validity of the
> source information.

this was what bit panix/edison I believe... :(

> As an aside I see an increase in the number of downstreams asking for
> as-path filtering or *no* filtering usually with justifications of ISP X
> doesn't require us to register routes or just does as-path filtering.  In
> my opinion that is bad news for everyone as documented in numerous
> BCPs, presentations and route-leaks.

agreed, there is this trend, it's disturbing :( (to me atleast) In the
number of customer conversations I've had about this it's always sort of
surprising that people think it's 'ok' to not have a prefix-list :( cause,
guess what: "if you don't have one and they don't have one... THEY will
get you eventually"