Re: Yahoo outage summary

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Mon Jul 09 13:43:55 2007

On Jul 9, 2007, at 11:19 AM, jared mauch wrote:

The simple truth is that prefix lists ARE hard to manage. There are a lot of folks that have complex relationships or don't see why they should register their routes. Some people lack tools and automation to make it work or to manage their networks. It would be nice to see everyone filter routes, including those from even transit and large peers. I don't think we will be able to ignore this forever. I also do not see the status quo changing soon either.

I'm not sure we can't ignore it forever.

The telephone network has been around for a lot longer than the 'Net, has way, way, way more connections, and there are corners of it which are managed even worse than the inter-web.

Like Sean said, cost/benefit. If the cost of avoiding a 1 day outage per year is the same as a 5 day outage, management will not fix it.

--
TTFN,
patrick