Re: Yahoo outage summary

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Jul 09 12:47:25 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Randy Bush wrote:
the space of routing data validation is large, we can explore it at our
leisure, and we have been for some years.  but my point was that it is
silly to indulge in conjecturbation on the cause of the recent event and
excoriate l(3), hanaro, or john curran's grandmother until we have heard
from the folk who have actual data.

If companies thought it was in their self-interest, they might actually share that actual data. However history has shown over and over again that companies generally avoid any public discussion about their problems until they are overwhelmed.

http://tech.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1327791.php/Yahoo_outage_caused_by_Level3_BGP_issue

If you wait for the companies to reveal the data, you will probably have
a long wait.

WorldCom still hasn't released its official investigative report into why its national frame networks failed for nearly a week in 1999.