Re: Yahoo outage summary

  • From: Cat Okita
  • Date: Mon Jul 09 01:14:05 2007

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007, Lixia Zhang wrote:
I agree here. So the mostly needed thing is some verification system.

I keep on coming back to "any proposal that requires universal adoption and deployment is fatally flawed".

As far as "needing a verification system", is there something deeply
problematic about filtering your customers?  It's a fine example of
thinking globally and acting locally.

Wonder what people think about this: http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0706/osterweil.html
something one can start using *now*.
There was virtually no comment after the presentation at last NANOG.

Perhaps that's because there wasn't much to say about it?

I think DNS is already badly overloaded, and adding still more random
crap into it just isn't on my list.

Beyond that, the phrase "leverages concepts from PGP's Web of Trust" makes my hair stand on end. Perhaps the author(s) are comfortable with
using a pile of disassociated islands 'with low reliability for confirming
prefix ownership -- I'd rather apply my efforts to something that doesn't
boil down to the equivalent of an educated judgement call.

cheers!
avoid getting wet.  This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."