Re: ICANN registrar supporting v6 glue?

  • From: Andrew Sullivan
  • Date: Sun Jul 01 15:07:40 2007

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 01:57:04PM -0700, Barrett Lyon wrote:

> Neustar/Ultra's .org gtld registration services apparently do not

As a point of clarification, Neustar Ultra Services has exactly
nothing to do with registration of .ORG domain names.  That's a
function of Public Interest Registry, who contracts the technical
operations of the registry to Afilias (my employer).  Neustar Ultra is
one of the providers of DNS services for .org, but they have nothing
to do with the registration side.

I'm not in a position to state when PIR is planning to accept IPv6
records in the zone, although I am aware that there are plans to do it
in the near future (you'd have to take it up with PIR, because they
make the registry policies).  I will note that .info (which Afilias
operates) accepts IPv6 addresses today, but as far as I can tell
registrars just don't care.  If this is something you want, you need
to talk to the registrars.

Also,

> Yet, .org does provide a v6 resolver:

> b0.org.afilias-nst.org. 86400   IN      AAAA    2001:500:c::1

that happens not to be a Neustar Ultra Services operated nameserver.
There are some servers operated by NUS, authoritative for .org, that
_do_ speak IPv6, however.

<[email protected]>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: [email protected]                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110