Re: IPv6 & DNS

  • From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ
  • Date: Sat Jun 30 11:07:59 2007
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nowsp; d=consulintel.es; s=MDaemon; t=1183218872; x=1183823672; [email protected]; q=dns; h=DomainKey-Signature:Received:User-Agent:Date:Subject:From:To: Message-ID:Thread-Topic:Thread-Index:In-Reply-To:Mime-version: Content-type:Content-transfer-encoding:Reply-To; b=hLztRiPtPsuP7R 62w4frz3W9V0as/wwjWuVT6m3vH38kA2N0NFGCjrYgJ74SePEWQBmeXyZNkNqnGG JqWrfDvw4LzrEUVALHYmTWgU6oLoT//20/Ra9hPPlWX0Eem6EHDsMgPro97YFhMJ jQTqAjOmkith32qfr/FvxZhYVtQrU=

Below, in-line.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Stephen Wilcox <[email protected]>
> Responder a: <[email protected]>
> Fecha: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 14:23:37 +0100
> Para: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email protected]>
> CC: <[email protected]>
> Asunto: Re: IPv6 & DNS
>

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 06:57:30PM -0400, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>>
>> This is one more reason, some OSs may not support IPv6 DNS transport, so you
>> need to keep dual stack.
>
> The OS, IPv6, udp/tcp and DNS are all at different layers of the protocol
> stack.. we are supposed to be able to seamlessly switch out lower layers
> without the upper layers needing to be aware. This seems to be proving
> difficult.

Because in fact, most of the IPv6 implementations today are not really
"dual-stack" but hybrid-stack, in the sense that 80% of the stack is the
same. You can definitively "turn-off" IPv4 by not setting up a DHCP server
neither manual configuration, the effect is the same.

Hybrid stacks are very important because then the "dual-stack" takes 120% of
the code instead of 200%, which in a PC is not relevant, but it is in a
cellular phone, PDA, sensor, etc.

But as said, IPv6 was designed having in mind a smooth transition including
dual-stack. Nothing is wrong when IPv6 "alone" doesn't work today. Is like
trying to use only gas in an engine that requires a mix of gas and oil. It
is something wrong ? No, it is the way you try to use the engine, because
was not designed that way !

>> Also, if roots/TLDs do not support yet IPv6, you will need to have at least
>> a dual stack DNS in your network.
>
> No, I just wont bother with v6! If this thing doesnt 'just work' why am I
> going to spend time and effort trying to use it for negative gain?
>
>> I think in the long term we will be there, using IPv6-only in LANs, but
>> don't see the reason, at least not an immediate one, unless you've a very
>> specific scenario/business case, and then you probably need to have
>> translators at the edge, and then it may resolve the DNS issue also for you.
>
> Why would I need it in a LAN? I can use RFC1918 if I want to be an island and
> then I dont have to put in kludges or talk my users through why their apps
> arent working, that will also resolve the DNS issue :)

In fact, I have not talked about public IPv4 addresses at all ! As explained
in another message, we are doing large IPv6-only deployments (5.000 sites).
The "only" applies to the core and access network, but we keep
net10+NAT+IPv6 in the LANs.