Re: The Choice: IPv4 Exhaustion or Transition to IPv6

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Fri Jun 29 16:44:16 2007

On 29-jun-2007, at 17:05, David Conrad wrote:

and destroy the DFZ,

I'm not sure what "destroy the DFZ" means. The DFZ will get bigger, no question. Routing flux will go up. Routers will have to work harder. Router vendors will be happy. However, I'm not sure how that could be interpreted as "destroyed".

Ok, explain this to me. Router capacity will grow. The number of routing table entries will grow. How do we know that the latter growth is necessarily slower than the former? And if we can't know that in the current situation, isn't the responsible path forward one towards the situation where we CAN know that?