Re: Thoughts on best practice for naming router infrastructure in DNS

  • From: Cat Okita
  • Date: Fri Jun 29 15:30:52 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Chris L. Morrow wrote:
perhaps a decent other question is: Do I want to let the whole world know
that router X with interfaces of type Y/Z/Q is located in 1-wilshire.

I suppose on the one hand it's helpful to know that Network-A has a device
with the right sorts of interfaces/capacity in a location I care about,
but it's also nice to know that for other reasons :( so naming things
about mythic beasts or cheese or movies is not so bad, provided your
NOC/OPS folks have a key that shows: optimus-prime.my.network.net ==
1-wilshire, m160, t1-customers-only.

At 3am, I'd rather have the NOC/OPS folk be able to figure things out from the name directly, than have to have access to the magic key that lets them know what the weird name translates into.

Ditto if I'm nowhere near my translation key, having a life, for example.

At any rate - it's possible to have informative names without going into
"too much" detail - knowing where the device is, what it does (border, core,
switch), and what it's connecting (customerA) is pretty darn'd useful
all around, and avoids getting into the device type and interface specifics.

cheers!
avoid getting wet.  This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."