IPv6 & DNS

  • From: David Barak
  • Date: Fri Jun 29 13:39:14 2007

--- Barrett Lyon <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't see any v6 glue there...  Rather than having
> conversations
> about transition to IPv6, maybe we should be sure it
> works natively
> first?  It's rather ironic to think that for v6 DNS
> to work an
> incumbent legacy protocol is still required.

Consider that Windows XP (and server 2k3) will not,
under any circumstance, send a DNS request over IPv6,
and yet they were widely considered "IPv6 compliant."

Consider also how long it took to get a working way of
telling autoconfigured hosts about which DNS servers
to use (without manually entering 128-bit addresses).

To me, the above show that the bulk of the actual
deployments were in dual-stack or tunnel environments,
and greenfield implementations were few and far
between.  There's a surprising amount of unexplored
"here be dragons" territory in IPv6, given how long
some very smart people have been working on it.

-David Barak

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com